Did you know that we have been working on a short surrealistic art film that chronicles the history of the Meädow? We are proud to present the first official trailer for the first film in the trilogy – The Dawn of the Töad King.
We are always looking for acting and filmaking talent. We are especially interested in finding a video editor that shares our artistic vision and would like to contribute their skills. If you enjoy editing videos, please use the contact form and let us know you exist.
Once upon a time, the land that is now Töad Meädow was ruled by an evil pig king and his degenerate ape henchmen. In the midst of his spiritual quest to reach enlightenment, the Töad King found the meadow, and knew that it must be liberated for the benefit of his spiritual children.
A great war was fought between the Töads and the pig king. Ultimately, the Töads prevailed and Töad Meädow was born.
Flame effects like the BEAST are fun to build and operate, but a more mellow, sustainable fire can offer an ongoing ambiance that the big stuff just can’t. I had some old steel shelves lying around and decided to try making a flaming sign. For the pattern, I used the Sacred Bat, which is the symbol of my Burning Man camp Bat Country. I plan to give them this sign as a gift when it’s completed. As with anything I make these days, it will break down for easy transport and have a sturdy stand allowing you to set it up easily.
The sign itself is an old steel shelf that I cut out with a plasma cutter. The flames come from 1/4″ copper tubing that I bent to follow the contours of the bat. There are holes drilled along the copper tube for propane to come out. The tubing is held in place with stainless steel wire. I used stainless steel because it won’t corrode when exposed to the elements. And by “elements” I mean fire.
Still needs doing:
Make a free standing sign stand
Balance the fire so there’s more or less the same amount of flame at the end as there is at the beginning
One of the problems of making a flaming pipe with holes is that the gas likes to escape the holes towards the beginning of the run more than at the end. So the fire at the start of the pipe is bigger than that at the end. This is easy to see in the picture below where I had the gas pressure turned up higher. I hope to fix this by blocking up most of the holes towards the start and maybe drilling more towards the end. The other way to mitigate this effect would be to supply propane at both ends of the copper tube, but I’m hoping to avoid this as it’s much more work.
Not that the flames on one side are much higer than on the other.
I left the last Halloween celebration feeling inspired, and got the idea that I wanted to build a catapult to shoot flaming projectiles into a cardboard castle doused in gasoline. My friend Nate is a bike messenger and can build anything out of anything, so I went to his house and mentioned it. He built one in a half hour completely out of shit in his room. Materials used: an old bike, curtain rods and duct tape. Hopefully Nate can make it out to the next Celebration, but he says if not, I can bring the catapult with me. It works amazing and I can’t wait to see it in action in an open area!
Old bike parts will soon be a catapult with flaming projectiles